How to Keep Cool In Hot Weather
While the hot weather can never be guaranteed in the Great British Summertime, you don’t want to be caught out if a heatwave strikes! The first thing that us Brits rush to do in the warm weather is to get outside in the garden and soak up the sunshine while we can, but for some of us the heat can be pretty unbearable!
Luckily, we’ve got some great tips for keeping cool in the hot weather, so you can enjoy your garden for longer!
- You may want to reach for a cold beer or a nice chilled glass of white wine, but try not to drink too much throughout the day. Alcohol dehydrates the body, so if you are on the drinks you’ll want to make sure that you’re drinking plenty of water too!
- Make sure that you fill your wardrobe with plenty of lightweight, light-coloured cotton clothes. The most breathable clothing to wear in the heat, choosing white clothing will also reflect the sun’s radiation and keep you cooler for longer.
- Relax! Warm days are not the days for gardening, contrary to popular belief. Put your feet up and relax on your rattan furniture set with a nice cool jug of water and take in the sights and sounds of your garden in full bloom!
- Try eating spicy food – although it seems like the opposite thing you should be eating, chilli can enhance circulation and cause you to sweat, which in turn cools the body down.
- Enjoy frequent snacks at your rattan dining set, but avoid heavy meals – a large meal causes metabolic heat in your body as it breaks down the food. It’s much better to snack on fruit throughout the day instead!
- Stay in the shade between 11am-3pm as this is the hottest part of the day, if you don’t have shade naturally in your garden, create some with a pop up gazebo or a parasol.
- If you have a fan set up outside, try placing a bowl of ice in front of the fan – the breeze will become cooler as the ice melts!
Rattan furniture is perfect for relaxing and keeping cool in your garden, and metal furniture can be just as comfortable and stylish, but we do recommend that you keep your metal furniture out of the direct sun or use it with cushions as they will heat up in the sunshine!